Dr. Saeed Asiri
- Office: 24E38
- Website: https://www.asiri.net
- WhatsApp: +966565555275
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @drsaeedasiri
- Facebook: saeedasiri
Eng. Salah Fatani
- Office: TBA
- Cell. No.: +966504543238
- WhatsApp: +966504543238
- MENG 262 Dynamics
- MENG 270 Mechanics of Materials
- EE 300 Complex Variables & Linear Algebra
Course description: Free and damped vibration of single degree of freedom systems, Viscous damping, Forced vibration, Resonance, Harmonic excitation; Rotating unbalance, Base motion, Vibration isolation, Fourier analysis, Vibration measuring, General excitation, Step and impulse response, Two degree of freedom systems, Frequencies and mode shapes, Modal analysis, Undamped vibration absorber, Multi degrees of freedom systems, Introduction to Continuous systems, Applications with computer programs.
Course Learning Objectives:
By the end of the course the student will be to:
- Model linear and nonlinear mechanical systems as combinations of springs, masses and dampers.
- Determine and define the degrees of freedom of a given mechanical system.
- Extract the equations of motion of a given mechanical system.
- Analyze and interpret the response of mechanical systems to various types of excitations.
- Analyze and interpret the response of mechanical systems to different cases of damping.
- Predict qualitatively the response of systems based on the spectral content of the excitation.
- Minimize the effects of transient and harmonic excitations on systems and their support structures.
- Decouple equations of motion
- Understand the significance of vibration control in various applications
Collaborative Learning Activities
Final Opportunity To Shine
Note: 75% attendance is required. No makeup for any quiz. Student must attend the laboratory to pass the course.
Contribution of the course to meet the ABET professional Component:
Engineering science: 2 credit, Engineering design: 1 credit.
How to Succeed
- Accept that it is your responsibility to learn the material (in spite of the book or teacher)
- Show up and become engaged with the topics
- Do the homework daily so you can ask questions in class
- Use you resources for help (classmates, upperclassmen, faculty, the library)
Prerequisites by Topic:
- Students should be familiar with free and forced vibration of Single Degree Of Freedom (SDOF) systems.
- Students should be familiar with the kinematics and kinetics of two and three-dimensional rigid bodies.
- Students should have a good understanding of the mechanics of solids including the ability to determine effective spring constants of common structural members.
- Students should be able to solve linear ordinary differential equations.
- Students should be familiar with concepts from linear algebra including matrix vector arithmetic, determinants, matrix inversion, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors.
- Students must have the ability to formulate and solve problems using MATLAB.
|1||1.4 - 1.10||Fundamentals of Vibrations||Click here||Click here|
|2||6.7 - 6.8||Lagrange’s Equations of SDOF||Click here||Click here|
|3||2.1 - 2.3||Undamped Free Vibration of SDOF||Click here||Click here|
|4||2.6||Damped Free Vibration of SDOF||Click here||Click here|
|5||3.1 - 3.5||Undamped Forced Vibration of SDOF||Click here||Click here|
|6||3.6||Damped Forced Vibration of SDOF|
Direct Excitation & Rotating Unbalance
|Click here||Click here|
|7||3.7||Damped Forced Vibration of SDOF|
|Click here||Click here|
|8||5.1 - 5.5||Free Vibrations of 2-DOF||Click here||Click here|
Forced Vibrations of 2-DOF
|10||6.1- 6.15||Modal Analysis||Click here||Click here|